Friday, October 5, 2007

NAME THAT BEAD!

During this last year I have decided to market my beads MORE. I've been making beads for 14 years and sell at 2 major national shows plus a few other local shows. I'm a member of the ISGB (International Society of Glass Beadmakers) again. I was a member way back when but stopped my membership for a number of years. Since I'm serious about marketing my beads it's time to rejoin. I still work full time so I do have to sit on my hands and not volunteer for too much. Then when would I make beads?

Well I've already gotten off topic. Anyway, a lot o
f artists name their beads. It's a way to attract attention and get more "views" even maybe more sales. My mind goes blank when I have to name my bead so I come up with the most inane names. When I'm making beads I think of them in terms of style not name - Bet you can't guess which is which --- Floral Bouquet, Dog, Dragonfly

I guess I feel I should be descriptive rather than "zen". Recently while reading the blog Flaming Hot I was introduced to the idea that a name can evoke an emotion and helps the buyer understand what you might have been thinking while creating the bead. That's a much better approach. In my quest to be more creative with my beads I think I will look at what is capturing me within the bead while I make it. There are a few beads that do get named. I name my frogs - after men they remind me of - after all kiss a frog and make a prince, and when I posted the first of my swirling silver lentils I kind of named it, think I need to do better though.

Here's Hank and Petrified Forest.
I am drawn to other artist's beads that have names so watch for my new beads - yup with new names!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol Jackie, you can use Greg, but I think Rupert may be a better Frog name.