Monday, October 15, 2007

WHERE WAS I 10-20-30 YEARS AGO

I picked this up from Beadguiling Designs who is also a member of Flaming Hot. Where were you 10-20-30 years ago.

10 Years ago would be 1997. I was living in the same house I'm in now in the Santa Clarita Valley of Southern California. We bought the house about 15 years ago - what a great investment! My partner - Howard - was in good health and we were sharing a fairly good life. I was making beads and just beginning to venture out into the sales arena with some decent success. My daughter was just newly out of college and living in the South Bay. She had just recently started to date her now husband of 7 years. I had 2 dogs, both now deceased, whom I loved very much.

20 years ago I was living in Manhattan Beach with Howard. My daughter was in Middle School just about to go into high school. Save us all from those teen age years! We lived in a rented house and had 2 dogs because we had been burgalorized 1 too many times. My daughter need watching because she was sooooo boy crazy. I was making fabric crafts and hadn't learned about beadmaking at that time. I worked for an ad agency in West LA.

30 years ago I was still living in Los Angeles - working in Hermosa Beach I think. For an ad agency. My daughter was 7 years old. I hadn't met Howard yet so it was me and my daughter in a duplex. I don't remember those years too well. My daughter and I were very close and my time was devoted to her and to my work. I hadn't started any of my crafty businesses yet so life was pretty much about being a good mother.

What great reflections, how far we've come. Now I'm a grandmother with 2 beautiful grandchildren. A new dog and my partner Howard is now deceased. My daughter's education is paid for, the wedding is a distant memory and that is paid for. I always wondered how I'd do it and although it seemed unsurmountable at the time it was pretty easy. You do what you have to. I'm still working but I have a creative outlet that I've always needed. I love making lampwork beads and hope I live to see another 30 years! It's a good thing I don't mind change although it feels like it came on gradually. What a difference 10 years make!

www.jackiemixon.com

No comments: