Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Theming on Color

It's Tips Tuesday and the theme is more about color. What do I use for inspiration? I work in the graphics business and my job is to check and approve color for printed pieces. Many times matching color to product so I'm very sensitive to colors being just right. I use fabric for color combinations, linen catalogs are great inspiration, clothes catalogs (keeps you current with what's popular). And sometimes I get out the PMS book - that's something we use in the printing business - and start looking for combos. Then when I think I've got one, I have to interpret it in glass - that's not always easy. Is it transparent? Is it opaque? Is it metallic? Is it creamy? Is it etched? All of these things come into play when making a bead. What's really fun is sometimes I come up with something I really love and yet it's nothing like what inspired me - go figure! I love to use twisties and shards and then let them swirl and blend to make new colors and amazing one of a kind art. Right now this is one of my favorite things to do!

It is my intention to use my blog to challenge myself to be more creative and part of that is to use different color combinations, shapes and styles. . . T
o not be so realistic. I've been studying some of the scrapbooker and journaling artists. I may with their permission post some of their collages and then take off on a color/creative challenge. Want to join me?

I'll start with a beautiful photo I discovered. This weekend I'll make some beads using this photo as inspiration. You never know what's going to happen. I'll post what I make next week. This challenge is not just about making beads, it could be about a piece of jewelry, it just needs to be beady. If you come up with something please post a comment here and a link to your blog. I'd love to see what you come up with!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie,

I clicked over from Kim's site, everything looks great! Beads, pictures, posts, everything. My background is graphic design too, now I make jewelry. I'm hoping to have my website and etsy shop up very soon.

I love Theming on Color, it's so inspirational. I've done theming from shapes too.

Great work, glad to meet you!

Smile on.

Cathy

Jackie Mixon said...

Hi Cathy - I was so excited to see your comment. I was wondering if anyone out there was reading my blog. Thanks for your lovely encouragement. I still work full time plus make beads, etc. Hard to keep up sometimes. I love Oregon as well - actually I went to OSU so spent a few years in Oregon. Got homesick for the Palm Trees. Please let me know when your etsy store and website go live. I'd love to peek. Also keep an eye on my work (ebay, etsy, website), Never know when there might be an irresistible bead. Would love to see you use the picture I posted for some jewelry!

The bead goes on ...
Jackie

Daniel said...

I love the idea of finding inspiration from non-bead sources. In my various projects it is sometimes funny to see where inspiration can come from. A photo, a passage in a book, what someone is wearing, a view out of the car window. You never know where the muse will tap you and hand you a great idea.

I also had to laugh when you spoke about ending up somewhere you liked but seemed to have no conection to the original item you drew the inspiration from. I am sure that is the muse just getting you to play so they can show you the way.

Great Blog!

dfc